The purpose of the income assistance program is to provide financial assistance to any eligible individual or family unit who RESIDES ON-RESERVE and can clearly demonstrate he/she is unable to meet his/her needs for Food, Shelter, Personal, and Other items essential to his/her health and well-being.
Every individual has the right to apply for income assistance (IA) and to request a written decision concerning his/her eligibility. Every individual who applies for federally-funded Income Assistance must meet conditions of eligibility in order to qualify for benefits.
The essential Elements of a Client’s file are as follows but are not limited to:
- Budget and Decision
- Three (3) forms of Identification (Current and up-to-date)
- Referral form ( Band Referral or Ministry of Social Services)
- Housing Form Lease Agreement for CMHC Units/Band Units
- Record Of Employment ( if applicable)
- Case Manager Referral and Rubric for Active Measures Clients (manditory for 18-24 year olds)
- Medical Form (if required)
- Authorization to exchange/obtain/release Information
Allowances may be provided to eligible adults for items essential to meet minimum living requirements. Items essential to meet minimal living requirements include:
- Food (including meals purchased away from home);
- Personal and clothing requirements;
- Household needs;
- Accommodations such as shelter, utilities, or residential facilities (ie: group homes, approved private-service homes)
An individual must be eligible for Federally-funded Income Assistance in order to qualify for Special Needs Allowances. Some Special Need Allowances may be required on a single issuance or on a recurring basis.
Eligibility Criteria: The following should be considered in assessing a Client’s Special Needs Requests:
- Alternative ways of meeting the need;
- Availability of funding from other programs and services; and
- Income surplus to basic requirements of the individual or family during recent months.
Special Needs Documentation
- Description of the special need;
- Reason for request;
- Eligibility criteria; and
- Resources and alternatives explored.
IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CLIENT TO:
- Notify the Income Assistance Administrator of change in circumstances such as; employment, training, etc.
- Notify the Income Assistance Administrator for changes such as; address, telephone number, change in number of dependants, etc.